Saturday 8 October 2011

Multi-tasking, to say the least

A friend has been speaking to me about how he likes to play one game at a time, and it occurred to me recently that I can't do such a thing. Play one game at a time? Pah! I need many things on the go--I need to be drinking tea while writing a blog post while also watching tv--or I need to be fighting epic dragons and then going on to fight small, innocent cats (in game, obv), with completely different storylines and different genres. Is it possible to stick to one game? Yes. Will I bother? No!
Possibly one thing I've noticed with many of my gaming friends are their lack of patience, and their need to be doing alot of different things to keep their mind alive, busy. I wonder if everyone's like this? Some people seem to not want to be doing anything, whereas others need lots to keep their brains ticking.
With games I play, one game might keep my attention for a long time, whereas others don't. For instance, Okami. I loved it, I had a passion for it, it was like an old friend in a way--something I'd always remember vaguely, I'd want to relive the memories everytime a certain song came on that reminded me of those memories... it was exactly like that. These games are special, the ones that wrap you in their world, the ones that are bursting with personality--they're rare to find, and are unique to the person (as in, it depends on what they like). But with most of the games I play after that one great game, I can't find the energy or the focus to bother with them, or I have to have lots to play at the same time. It may be a good game, but none of it seems as good as the amazing game I played before that. It may sound harsh, but it's true--the storyline of some games I come across just aren't good enough to hold my attention, and so move on to the next game while half-playing the one I was originally playing.
Some games might actually be good, make me want to keep playing them, but... if I get beaten, I quit, and I don't go back to that game for a while til I've gotten over the fact that I'm not good enough. It sounds silly, but it's the only way I can describe it; I feel oddly let down when I fail at something on a game (or in real life, really, like everyone does), and so I don't bother going back to it for a while, yet I consider myself to still be playing through it.
Right now I apparently have Dragon Quest IX, Dragon Quest VII and We Love Katamari on the go, although I haven't been on DQIX for a while, DQVII since 2 weeks ago and We Love Katamari earlier this week; it's really quite confusing why I even bother playing through all these games at the same time, but it seems more fun that way, to have different worlds to explore instead of familiarizing myself with just the one and sticking to it. Unless it's something truly immersive, inventive and immense, I won't really want to stick to that one game. I'm hoping Skyward Sword and Xenoblade will make me want to be normal and just play one or the other; things would be much easier that way it seems.
So, what do you think? Do you think maybe you play too many games, if so, why, and if not, why not? Do you play many on the go? I think it probably depends on the person. I do enjoy playing a few at the same time, but it's nice to focus on the one every once in a while, and feel like it's the only game I'll ever need to play, and that I'm a part of what's going on with regards to the storyline.

No comments:

Post a Comment